27 February 2006

Envy

Davis-Monthan is hosting F-22s for a few days, along with a bunch of other planes.

This is the Air Force's newest plane. It is nearly invisible to radar (stealthier even than the F-117 Nighthawk), much more agile than previous fighters (it utilizes thrust vectoring, which allows it to direct its thrust ±20° in the pitch axis), it can supercruise (fly faster than the speed of sound without the use of afterburners), it looks sexy as hell, and it is named 'Raptor.'

And it is named 'Raptor.'

People are complaining that it might be too noisy. If you are in Tucson, and F-22s are coming over, and you are worried about noise, you are wrong.

6 Comments:

At 08:38, Blogger Patrick Sauncy said...

"According to an Air Force noise study, an F-22 flying 500 feet above ground level sounds about the same as a chain saw operating nearby."

But I'm pretty sure there are regulations against flying at 500 feet above populated areas. I think I've heard that the minimum is 1000.

 
At 12:26, Blogger terbear said...

(1) Somebody summon Raptor...
(2) Then what are those noisy things that always fly over if and especially when I'm right under them?

 
At 14:10, Blogger Patrick Sauncy said...

We call them 'airplanes.'

 
At 20:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo... I'm going to guess that you get AIMPOINTS. I too get AIMPOINTS. Let's start a club.

 
At 20:15, Blogger Patrick Sauncy said...

Actually, I got that off of Early Bird. It rocks. I hear Aimpoints is good too, though.

 
At 13:08, Blogger Nate said...

One time I got to ride in a dump truck...
does that count?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home